Saturday, June 16, 2012

My Creed


I love the Book of Common Prayer, especially Morning and Evening Worship. Some sections, however, use language that feels wrong to me. The Apostle's Creed is one of these sections. Here is my rewrite of The Apostle's Creed using modern and inclusive language.

A New Apostle's Creed

I believe in God, our Creator,
   Author of Heaven and Earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, 
The Word Incarnate, our Savior.
   The Word was made manifest 
by the power of the Holy Spirit
     and was born Jesus, child of Mary.
   Jesus suffered under Roman oppression,
      was crucified, died, and was buried.
On the third day The Word returned,
Revealing the power of Love over Hate.
The Word entered us,
And draws us even now 
Into the heart of all Creation.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
The community of Church,
The communion of Saints,
The forgiveness of Sins,
The resurrection of our Souls,
And life everlasting through reunion with God.
Amen.


You can read my version of The Lord's Prayer hereWould you like to read the original Apostle's Creed? You can find it here.

And if you would like to read my version of the Daily Office, you can find that here.


U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Joshua Strang licensed under Creative Commons.


No comments:

Post a Comment