Sunday, April 28, 2019

The Problem with Language




I've read your letter again. Four times, actually. It still makes no sense. It's Greek to me. Actually, I think it really is Greek. I recognize a few of the letters. I'm pretty sure this is an alpha. And, if I remember correctly, that's an omega. That's about as far as I can get.

I know the letter is from you, because I recognize the signature. I can't read the signature, because that's also in Greek. But I recognize the little flower you like to draw above the i. At least, I think it's an i.

So now I'm confused. Why would you write me a note, leave it on the counter, but write it in Greek? You know I don't read Greek.

I feel like I need to respond to your note. But how do I respond? I have no idea what you wrote.

I sit down to write.

Dear Lisa,
Thank you for your note. I love reading the notes you leave me. Next time, would you mind writing the note in English? Love to you always, Jay.

After writing the note, I can't help thinking about this strange note. In Greek. I didn't even know you spoke Greek. Maybe I should add that, P.S. When did you learn to speak Greek?

I pick up my note. I can tell it's my note, because I recognize the y in Jay. I always write it with a flourish. But the rest of the note, I have no idea what is says. It seems to be in Russian. 

I don't know Russian. I only recognize the characters from a movie I recently saw about Russian spies.

Am I thinking in Russian? I don't think so. These words in my head sound like English to me. 

I decide to try a test. I'll write a simple word. I pick up a pencil and write d-o-g. I look at the paper. It says собака. I don't know what собака means. I don't even know how to pronounce it.

Am I going crazy? I need to leave the apartment and find somebody. I go to the elevator and press the button for the lobby. I know it is the button for the lobby, because it is the lower left button, which is where the lobby button is always located, even if this lobby button doesn't have the familiar L, but instead a character that appears to be Japanese.

I get out at the lobby and walk across the street to Mike's Diner. Except the sign doesn't say Mike's diner, it says Restaurante de Miguel. But it's still Mike behind the counter.

Mike, I say, what's happening? What happened to your sign? Why did you rename your diner? Mike, I don't understand what's happening, everything is in different languages. I can't tell what anything says.

I am distraught. Mike tries to calm me down, but he does so in Spanish, a language he has never spoken in his life. He looks at me with great concern. He obviously recognizes me, but doesn't understand anything I am saying. I can't blame him. Even I can't understand what I'm saying. It sounds like gibberish. Russian gibberish.

One of Mike's customers asks for something. Mike just looks at him. Whatever he asked for, he asked for in Swahili. I think.

I start to think about today. Fortunately, I still think in English. Something was going to happen today. What was it? It was something important. Something that could change the course of the world.

Then I remember. Today is the day the President is widely expected to declare war on North Korea. In fact, his somber face is now on the TV above the counter. He looks very stern. The two generals on either side of him look equally stern. Behind them are not one but three American flags. The president and the two generals are all wearing American flags on their lapels. Military music is playing. 

Then the music stops, and the President begins to speak. 

But nobody in Mike's Diner, or Restaurante de Miguel, can understand a word he is saying. And from the looks on their faces, neither can the generals.



Spiritual questions:
  • How do you express fear without language?
  • How do you express love without language?
  • Which is easier? 
  • Which would you prefer?
  • Perhaps now is a good time to start.

This is one of the Parables for the Spiritual but not Religious Series.


February 7, 2018 - This was written at the Roundhouse Writing Group, Santa Cruz, Guatemala. The writing prompt for the session was: I've read your letter again.


Did you know you can receive these blogs directly in your email? Signup with MailChimp here.