Friday, August 9, 2019

The Sound



- Shh, hear that?
- I don't hear anything

- Something's moving.
- I don't hear anything.

- It's coming from inside.
- There's nothing in there. At least, nothing alive.

- What if...
- What if what?

- What if ...
- What if what? What the hell's your problem?

- What if we didn't kill him.
- What do you mean, didn't kill him? Of course we killed him. You saw him. He was dead. Dead, dead, dead.

- I know, but what if we made a mistake?
- We didn't make a mistake. And just to make sure, we have been here for how long now?

- He said 72 hours, just to be safe. Another 30 minutes.
- Great. This assignment sucks. This place sucks.

- I definitely hear something. Something is moving inside.
- You know what? I'm done. Nobody will know if we leave 30 minutes early.

- Hey, look!
- Now what?

- Somebody is coming.
- So what? It's just those women. They've been hanging around for days.

- They give me the creeps.
- First, you are afraid because you hear some animal moving. Now a couple of women are freaking you out. What's the matter with you today?

- We shouldn't have killed him.
- What the hell are you taking about? It would have been us up there.

- I just don't feel good about any of this.
- Okay, okay. Just to make you feel better, we'll look inside. Help me move this rock.

- Thanks.
- See? There's nothing here.

- Where's the body?
- Right there, where we left it.

- There's no body. Just a pile of clothes.
- That's impossible.

- Look for yourself.
- What the hell did you do with the body?

- Shh. Hear that?
- I don't hear anything.

- Can't you feel it?
- What are you talking about?

- It's like... it's like a presence. A ... I don't know, a softness, a gentleness, a peacefulness.  Can't you feel it?
- Those crazy women are back. That's what you are feeling.

- No, it's not coming from them. It's coming from, I don't know... here... there... everywhere. It's all around us. Can't you feel it?
- You know what? I don't care what you hear or what you feel or what happened to the body. Our time is up. I'm going back to the barracks. I need a drink.

- Look at those women. They feel it too. They look happy. They are smiling. Why are they so happy?
- Who cares. They are crazy, just like you. I'm going back. Are you coming?

- No. You go ahead. I'm going with them.




Spiritual questions:
  • Can you feel it too?
  • Who are you going to follow?
  • When?


This is one of the Parables for the Spiritual but not Religious Series.

August 9, 2019 - This was written with the Roundhouse Writing Group in Santa Cruz, Guatemala, remotely from Guanajuato, Mexico. The writing prompt for the session was: Shh... Hear that? I don't hear anything.

The photograph of the mist is by Stuart Ruffell and made available through Flickr and Creative Commons, some rights may be reserved.

Did you know you can receive these blogs directly in your email? Signup with MailChimp here.

1 comment:

  1. "- You know what? I don't care what you hear or what you feel or what happened to the body. Our time is up. I'm going back to the barracks. I need a drink.

    - Look at those women. They feel it too. They look happy. They are smiling. Why are they so happy?"

    ReplyDelete