Sunday, December 15, 2019

Forgotten


Why have you forgotten me? I didn't want to hurt you. I didn't want you to feel guilty. That wasn't my goal. I'm sorry if you misunderstood.

I only wanted you to understand a few things. Simple things. Nothing complicated. You could write it all on the back of a postage stamp.

Sorry. I forgot. You don't use postage stamps anymore. Okay, you could write the whole thing in a tweet. You get, what is it? 280 characters? You could write it all and have enough characters left over for your favorite chocolate cake recipe. Or a cute kitten picture. Whatever it takes to remember.

Why have you forgotten me? Did I scare you with those tricks? You know, those weren't real. They were just to get your attention. To get your minds off of your petty bickering and worries. So that for maybe two minutes you would give me your full attention.

It worked. For a while. But then it backfired. Now all you remember is the tricks. And you have completely forgotten the message. Next time, I'll know better.

If there is a next time. I don't know if I could go through that again. And even if I could, what more could I say? I thought I was clear the last time.

Love. Love is the only reality. It is the only thing that is real. Everything else is interference. Distraction. Aberration. Okay, Hell if you insist.

That's it. The whole message. How complicated is that?

But you forgot. And now, look around you. Take a good look. Is this really what you want? This is your alternative. This is what you get.

On second thought, maybe you were right. Maybe Hell isn't too strong a word for what you created. God knows, I wouldn't want to live in it.

But it may not be too late. Some people paid attention. A handful passed it on. Even today, there are a few who get it.

Why have you forgotten me? That's really the wrong question. It doesn't matter if you forget me. In fact, forget me! Please! Because it isn't about me. It's about you.

It's about love. That's all I wanted you to know. That's all I ever wanted you to know. It's such a simple message.

How could you have forgotten such a simple, simple message?



Spiritual questions:
  • If everybody remembered, how would it change things?
  • Do you remember?

This is one of the Parables for the Spiritual but not Religious Series.

August 22, 2019 - This was written with the Roundhouse Writing Group in Santa Cruz, Guatemala, remotely from Guanajuato, Mexico. The writing prompt for the session was: begin a story with the words, "Why have you forgotten me?"

The photograph is by Stanley Zimney and made available through Flickr and Creative Commons, some rights may be reserved.

My full blog index is here.
Did you know you can receive these blogs directly in your email? Signup with MailChimp here.

No comments:

Post a Comment