Friday, December 27, 2019

The Cappuccino Machine


My cappuccino machine? Are you serious? Do you have any idea what that cost? That machine was imported from Italy. It cost me over five thousand dollars. I had to wait three months for it to be delivered.

I don't see what difference it makes, what it weighs. It's a work of art.

Listen, I have this pair of Louis Vuitton shoes. They don't fit any more. I'll leave those, okay?

Will you stop about the damn cappuccino machine? So what if it weighs fifty pounds. I'll pay whatever the fee is. I'm taking it.

Hey, don't forget that wine. Those bottles are from a tiny vineyard in France. I have been trying to find them for over a year. They cost two thousand dollars a bottle. That's twenty-four thousand dollars of wine you are forgetting.

And my tuxedo. The instructions were clear. Thursday is formal dining, tuxedos required for men. Today is Wednesday. I will need it tomorrow.

That's a joke, right? One small bag? Do you have any idea what I paid for this trip? Over fifteen thousand dollars. And you are telling me I can only bring one small bag? Everything else I'm just suppose to leave? So anybody can waltz in and take whatever they want?

Yes, yes, I hear it. Of course I hear it. How can I not hear it? But I'm not going to be rushed. They can damn well wait for me. And I'm not leaving my cappuccino machine. You just figure it out.

I wasn't even going to bring it, but everybody warned me. They all said, the boat is nice, the food is okay, but bring your own coffee maker. The coffee on The Titanic really sucks.



Spiritual questions:
  • What baggage are you carrying around?
  • How much is it worth to you?

This is one of the Parables for the Spiritual but not Religious Series.

December 26, 2019 - This was written with the Roundhouse Writing Group in Santa Cruz, Guatemala, remotely from Guanajuato, Mexico. The writing prompt for the session was: write directions for how to do something in the voice of a character.

The photograph is by Franz Jachim and made available through Flickr and Creative Commons, some rights may be reserved.

My full blog index is here.
Did you know you can receive these blogs directly in your email? Signup with MailChimp here.

1 comment:

  1. I'd rather bring my fur coat. They said we might sail close to the icebergs.

    ReplyDelete